Archive for January 9th, 2014

Tech trade group SIIA Blasts PRC Approval of 6 Percent Rate Increase

without comments

On December 24, the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) voted 2-1 to approve an exigent, or “emergency,” postage rate increase of 4.3 percent, the full amount requested in September by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). This increase is to be applied in addition to the CPI increase of 1.7 percent, totaling a 6 percent increase for periodicals. In response, SIIA President Ken Wasch issued the following statement:

“We remain very disappointed that the PRC has continued to ignore the lack of discipline, efficiency and overall fiscal responsibility of the USPS, and instead chose to place a continued and unjustified rate increase on the B2B industry. While the PRC at least had the good judgment to reject the USPS request to make this a permanent increase, we will begin 2014 assessing the opportunities to appeal or further limit the duration of this harmful increase.”

The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) is the leading trade associations representing technology, digital content, media and information companies, including those that publish business-to-business industry magazines and newsletters. Our membership is comprised of more than 700 members who publish more than 600 print periodical titles and mails approximately 800 million magazines and newsletters each year, representing approximately 15% of the periodicals class within the US Postal Service. In addition, SIIA members utilize first-class and standard mail extensively and collectively spend an estimated $260 million in postage each year. In November, SIIA submitted comments to the PRC outlining reasons why the exigent increase should not be approved.

via Tech trade group SIIA Blasts PRC Approval of 6 Percent Rate Increase | Ruralinfo Postal News.

Written by Lisa.Bowes

January 9th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Posted in USPS

Reminder: NCOALink® Alternative PAF Renewal Policy

without comments

From a DMM Advisory

The Postal Service™ has implemented a new alternative to the NCOALink® Processing Acknowledgement Form (PAF) renewal process. This alternative method makes the PAF renewal process more effective and less time consuming for NCOALink customers. This policy became effective October 1, 2013.

Click here for the full announcement: https://ribbs.usps.gov/ncoalink/documents/announcements/2013_ANNOUNCEMENTS/NewPAFReqSept272013.PDF

Click here for the Complete Guide to processing PAFs: https://ribbs.usps.gov/ncoalink/documents/tech_guides/PAF_GUIDE.PDF

Written by Lisa.Bowes

January 9th, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Posted in USPS

Revised Postage and Fee Refund Criteria

without comments

From the DMM Advisory:

Revised Postage and Fee Refund Criteria

On January 3, the Revised Postage and Fee Refund Criteria proposed rule was posted on the Federal Register website and on the Postal Explorer®website under Federal Register Notices.

The rule proposes to revise the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) to update the hourly charges and related postage threshold used in assessing certain types of postage refunds. The rule also proposes to provide customers with refund time periods for extra services fees that align with the revised claims filing periods being made effective on January 6, 2014.

We look forward to your comments on this proposal by February 3, 2014.

————————————————–
Part of a continuing USPS initiative known as Penalties As a Revenue Stream…

Written by Lisa.Bowes

January 9th, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Posted in USPS